Hey There!

Hey there! All books on THIS blog are for mature readers that are +17.

Friday 18 April 2014

Review: Come As You Are by Theresa Weir





My rating: 2.5 of 5 stars
Published September 20th 2013 by Belfry Press
From: Net Galley

~~

Molly Young has a secret. To keep it she holds the world at a distance. Behind her lies a trail of dumped boyfriends who came too close to discovering what no one can know. When her estranged father dies of an unexpected heart attack he leaves an even deeper secret, one tied to Molly's.

At the funeral repast Molly is unable to tolerate the shoulder-to-shoulder mourners and runs out the door and down the street to the nearest bar. Come dawn, with no memory of the past ten hours, she finds herself in bed with a beautiful stranger. She slips away before he wakes up, unaware of the role he's about to play in her life. Is he the one guy who can convince Molly to face her painful secret and become the person she's meant to be? 

~~

Hmmm. There are lovers and haters of this book. If you've read a lot of NA then you'll know how the formula works. Girl with tragic past meets boy with equally tragic past. They collide. They insta-love each other. They talk, they share and then...boom! out of nowhere they stop talking/communicating without finding the answers first.

I've never read Ms Weirs work before so I have nothing to base it on. I found this book very dark and almost sinister. I must admit I didn't like Molly. For someone who has suffered so much I couldn't help feeling that she should have got past this and made some adjustments to her life. I understand that her adoptive father was shitty to her, and celebrating is funeral was no picnic. Her reaction to bad stuff is drinking and grabbing the nearest guy for sex? Okay, maybe for some it is.

I couldn't help feeling that the whole story was a little too contrived. I know that's how NA books are. The weirdest, strangest, connections get made that way but an adoptive fathers biological son that she never knew about. That takes some story telling.

On the whole the story WAS quite simple. But as I wrote, I didn't get Molly, I couldn't get into her pysche and reason with her or understand her. 

So, 2.5 out of 5. Ms Weirs writing is an extra star. And I DID like Ian despite the relationship malarkey :)

- CBx

No comments:

Post a Comment